Golf Forum - Golf Rewound is the Family Friendly Golf Forum and Discussion Group  

Go Back   Golf Forum - Golf Rewound is the Family Friendly Golf Forum and Discussion Group > Out on the Links > General Golf Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

General Golf Discussion For general golf topics such as etiquette, rules, golf stories, Golf Channel programming, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2013, 09:58 AM
U.S. Open Winner

Square to Square Method Golf Swing

Have any of you ever heard of the Square to Square Method golf swing? Apparently, it was around in the 70's and didn't last long, from what I've read. However, it appears to be coming back via the internet. I'm just wondering if anyone has ever heard of it or tried it or uses it.

I'm just curious...and you know what that did to the cat...

My Bag:
Driver, FW, Irons, Putter
MacTec NVG2 3 & 4 Hybrids
60 degree PureSpin LW
Balls and Bag
Golf Frontier GPS App

2013 Masters Pick 'Em Champ
2013 Winter, Summer and Full Season Winner - GRW Fantasy Golf
2012 Winter, Summer and Full Season Winner - GRW Fantasy Golf
2009 Full Season Winner - GRW Fantasy Golf
2008 US Open Pick 'Em Champ
2007 Players Championship, US Open & PGA Championship Pick 'Em Champ
Old 01-11-2013, 10:39 AM
Admin Misterioso
Ultimate Spammer

Send a message via MSN to Wazmankg
Re: Square to Square Method Golf Swing

I'd never heard of it. I googled it and most of what I've read, except from those trying to sell it, is that it was a short-lived method taught by some back in the late 60s/early 70s and quickly fell out of favor due to it being rather unnatural and difficult to master. It sounds like something that might work better for someone new to golf rather than someone with an ingrained, more conventional swing. The part about replicating the impact position at setup, prior to the swing, really isn't that radical and could be incorporated into any pre-swing routine. But I could see how its primary concept of maintaining a shut or square clubface for an extended period of time could really screw you up if you're not used to doing that. Just this hacker's
2012 Open Pick Em Champ
2011 US Open Pick Em Champ
2011 Yahoo Fantasy Golf Champ
2009 Womens British Open Pick Em Champ
2007 NFL Pick Em Champ

"There are 2 kinds of people in the world... those who divide the world into 2 kinds of people and those who don't." - author unknown
"They, who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither." - Benjamin Franklin
Old 01-12-2013, 09:36 AM
Tour Card

I don't know the particulars of the swing method, I don't remember the guys name that promoted it, but I do remember about the guy later apologizing to the golfing world for promoting it.

When looking at all these named swings keep in mind they are something devised to make money. Look at square to square it is simply dead. Look at the pros that promoted stack and tilt.......where are they now?
Old 01-12-2013, 06:11 PM
Claret Jug

I've read about it but don't remember much about it. The late Jim Flick was involved with it. What I do remember from reading about it is that the method was all the rage for a while, and then it didn't just die out, but was actively discarded (like logicman suggests), which seems pretty unusual.
Old 01-12-2013, 06:56 PM
Claret Jug

I would imagine that the technique was designed in an effort to help a chronic slicer square up the face at impact... Which probably worked wonders for the first few weeks, until it turned into a viciously quick snap-hook.
Old 01-13-2013, 10:26 AM
Tour Card

This is a link that shows something about the origin of the Square to Square method. It isn't garbage. I think more a result of late 60's and 70's thinking without the benefit of super slow motion.

Square-to-Square Golf Swing: Dick Aultman: 9780671219475: Amazon.com: Books

I'm guessing the only way to be perfectly Sq. to Sq. would necessitate swinging solely on the shaft plane which would be extremely difficult for most of us. It seems to me the only person coming close to that currently is Mat Kucher. Most of the folks listed on the Amazon home page above advocate swinging the club, feeling the club head, and allowing your body to support and respond to it, not something I argue against.
ASB
Old 01-13-2013, 11:44 AM
Claret Jug

I am not sure whether or not the following image that I found captures the essence of the method, but it does match my recollection of what I read about it years ago.

Old 01-13-2013, 09:44 PM
Tour Card

Straight Shooter,looks like you found some of the teaching with the illustrations. I've been having fun researching it. I found it quickly lost favor because for a right handed player it required a complete overhaul retraining yourself. What intrigued me is I am left handed playing from the right side and that is suppose to be ideal. I also saw a snippet that questioned whether Alvero Quiros used this method. I looked at some videos of him in slow motion and arguably he does. Then I found "The Secrets of Golf" by George Peper which has a chapter dedicated to Aultman's theories along with numerous others. It's refreshing to know that even golfers at the top levels frequently discover the secret. Sadly, it seems to be just as fleeting for them as us.

The Secret Of Golf: A Century of Groundbreaking, Innovative, and ... - George Peper, Mary Tiegreen - Google Books